CALL FOR DESIGNS
Automobile Alley Door Tour
Published January 23, 2020
While other areas of the city boast hand-painted murals that reflect the character and creativity of their district, Automobile Alley seeks to highlight its appreciation for graphic design and digital illustration. This is reflected in the high attention to design of Automobile Alley’s historic buildings, streetscape, and the many design firms, architects and creative agencies that add to the character of the district. Automobile Alley’s Door Tour is intended to beautify and activate alleys east and west of Broadway Avenue with vinyl designs installed on alleyway service doors.
Downtown Oklahoma City Partnership staff will curate the project and work with property owners so that a variety of illustrations, designs and styles will draw pedestrians to visit multiple doors.
Acceptable vector design submissions shall:
- Be original work, new or old
- Speak to the character of Automobile Alley (cars, art, architecture and historical Broadway Ave) and/or invoke a sense of play and curiosity for the viewer
- Contrast with surrounding built environment through use of color
- Not include racist, sexist, profane, sexually explicit, advertisements or signs
- Comply with Oklahoma City Arts Commission guidelines
Graphic artists, illustrators, commercial artists and amateur designers are encouraged to submit vector designs. Applicants may submit multiple designs.
There is a $250 artist award for accepted submissions. Up to 20 designs will be selected.
Door Design Specifications
Doors for this project vary in size:
- single doors from 27" x 71" to 37" x 97"
- double doors from 60" x 82" to 71" x 82"
Therefore, door designs submitted should be a vector file that can scale to fit the selected door. Click for a template.
January 23 – Call For Designs released
February 24– Submission Deadline
March 20 – Notification of Acceptance
April/May– Design Installation
How to Apply
Designs must be sent in via Submittable by February 24 and include the following:
- Vector design, packaged in PDF
Specific questions may be sent to Joe Hudson, firstname.lastname@example.org or 405-235-3500.